Friday, July 11, 2008

How it all began...



Who are we?.... We are two friends that met in a freshman orientation group at Seattle Pacific University. Our friendship grew over the next 5-6 years of school. We both traveled during school quite a bit-sometimes delaying our diligent studying to go abroad, othertimes studying as we traveled. But, eventually we graduated, even if a year or two late, and we entered the working world. Toriann, a more than full-time nanny, spends her days with two 2 year olds, while working for many other families in the evenings and weekends. Heather works as a nurse on the adult medicine unit at the public-free care-trauma hospital.

What are we doing?...Toriann came to me with the idea last summer after returning from Argentina. She had met two girls who were spending the year traveling around the world and loved the idea! I was not at all shocked when she proposed the idea that we do the same thing, and by the end of the conversation we were both tentatively committed. The plan further developed after we went to Kenya last August. We loved the people of Kodera and planned on returning with the Pine Lake group next year and then heading off further from there. However, due to all the political instability that Kenya has gone through this year, PLCC had to cancel the trip. So, Toriann and I pulled out our map and started our itinerary from scratch!

I am completely excited about this amazing opportunity! I feel so incredibly humbled and blessed to have the chance to go and see so much of the world. I feel blessed to have a supportive family. I feel blessed that my boyfriend understands. I feel blessed to have met Toriann the first week of college and developed a friendship that is strong enough to know we can spend a lot of time together :)

We hope to share the next 9 months with anyone and everyone who is interested. We are hoping for great fun, to be challenged and stretched in who we are and what we believe, and have some advenutres!

Feel free to read our stories, leave comments and/or questions, and stay in touch through this site!

8 comments:

maeusekrieger said...

Hi Heather!
Haven't seen you for such a long time. So where's Europe in your itinerary? What a pity you skip Austria. Hope we'll see you again soon. Lots of love, Dani, Lukas and the kids

shrazzi said...

We all love your website and are so excited to share this journey with you!!
Be sure to update often. You will be greatly missed...

Laura said...

You girls are so brave. I can't wait to hear about your adventures. I am praying that your journey is challenging, safe, and enriching.

Jessica Probert said...

Yeah! I'm so glad we'll get to hear of your adventures along the way! I'm looking forward to seeing breathtaking photos of remarkable places! I can't believe you're going to be gone for so long, though. Love you dearly!

Anonymous said...

Jambo you 2!! I wish I could join YOUR tent for part of this one. I am so very excited for you and will be looking often for updates. Be bold, be brave and be open to all this trip has to offer and all that you can share around the world! You are in my prayers!!XXOO

Burleygirl said...

Hey Heather,
I didn't see my earlier comment. I wanted to see you before you left.
Anyways just wanted to wish you an awesome journey, and let me know when you reach Bali!
We will miss you!-from 4E
Jeanine says she will especially miss you!
Me too of course
See you soon
Allison

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,
You are indeed blessed to be able to take this around the world adventure at this time in your life. Enjoy the journey, the people you meet and the countries you visit. I will be praying for you. Blessings to you and Toriann,
Gayle Larson

Tamara Buchan said...

Hi H,

Very excited for you and Toriann! We will be looking forward to reading all your blogs!
Have too much fun!
Mommy